Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I get chills whenever I think of them

Late night working American Idols. Notes from those I'll be riding for this weekend.

"Yes my sister will be shining down on you as you make your pace! Godspeed"

"I appreciate what you're doing and I am honored and touched by the tribute to my dad and the others who have been taken by this horrible disease you are riding for. Stay strong"

"I'll have a better than usual congratulatory hug ready for the next time I see you. Ride well"

"I don't know what to say .......this means so much to me to have Jack's name on Vicki's jersey. Jack did touch so many people's lives. I'm finding that more and more in the past couple of months. It's amazing. Thank you so much for helping to keep his memory alive"

"God Speed Vicki Chorman. My Dad is riding with you."

"I just wanted to thank you for asking your friend to ride for PJ. He would be so proud. He wanted to get involved with the LLS to raise money right before he got sick in the fall. Please thank Vicki on my behalf. It's so great to know that PJ will never be forgotten. I write you this with a heavy heart today. It's been six months today of his passing."

"What can I say? I’m so honored to be included in your cause. I have tears in my eyes from reading your memories of your dad and from seeing my name on the back of your jersey. Wow! That’s powerful!

I’ve been so blessed by God, wonderful physicians, family, friends, and co-workers. I know all of the prayers, love, and support have helped me beat this horrible disease.

Thanks so much for being such a great friend & supporter for the past 20 years. I am very proud of you and your commitment to this cause. You rock!"



Reading these I cannot feel anything other than totally blessed. I believe strongly that God has used this opportunity to force me to be a little less selfish for a change. He has blessed me in so many ways -- I just never noticed. I so wanted to be blessed in other ways I ignored how truly blessed I have been. I know I cannot understand, but I can't help trying. I am uncomfortable with the harsh truths this world has, forgetting for a moment what it is all for.

I accept these blessings and am grateful for the opportunity this weekend to honor God in whatever way I can -- for now through riding my bicycle in memory of, in honor of, in support of so many. It seems trivial -- it is, of course, just a bicycle ride. And if that is all it is to you, that is OK. This weekend, to me, is the chance to repay, for a small moment in time, all of the blessings I have received to date.

And for this weekend at least -- I will make a difference.

3 comments:

  1. What wonderful tributes. I know you keenly feel the heartache and hope in each of them. Don't let the fire consume you but use it to strengthen you on your journey. God speed, keep safe. Love you, your empathy, your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers have been and will be going out to you and all the others who are riding for their loved ones and friends. You are making a difference! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheer a good cheer for me also Cindy:)

    ReplyDelete