Friday, August 28, 2009

The beginning of Pelotonia

Just back from opening ceremonies -- what fun! Well other than the totally black skies, lighting and etc! Actually the weather cleared for the whole event, got a bit windy and lighting in the distance when Michelle Branch went on. Lance joked that he had to cut his speech short due to the threatening skies!

There were 1400 survivors that attended the ceremony. Non-riders - just came to be apart of the ceremonies. I had several thank me for riding. I'm not sure -- what do you say -- when someone comes up and thanks you for riding. Thank you just doesn't seem significant enough. I don't know -- I never did think of anything right to say.





I saw so many people that I know, including a few donors who are survivors. I got to show off my new jersey -- it was a huge hit and folks really liked it -- plus I looked darn good in it! And I had so many people ask me where I got the framed jersey, had I ordered it in advance, etc. How cool of a gift is this?




Wow! I couldn't believe it -- and I have so many donors, friends, supporters to thank for it! An autographed Lance Armstrong Pelotonia survivors jersey -- only 200 were given out. Thanks to all of you. I'd like to share but it looks really cool in my place!


We had a great meal -- pasta, summer vegetables, baby red skin potatoes, and I had salmon. There was also roast beast and chicken kabobs. There was ice cream (I passed -- I'm in training you know!) and beer (I gave mine to Dave!). What an excellent party.

Matt Nathanson kicked off the music. I'm a fan although many hadn't heard of him. Then the program -- started with the local celebs -- the Mayor, the Governor, then Dr. Gee. He was hilarious with his top 10 reasons to cycle -- he did a great job! But everyone was waiting for the man himself -- Lance. While I didn't stalk him well enough to get a photo with him I did get right up to the downstage edge of the stage to listen and take photos -- he is a very engaging speaker -- even with the approaching storm. You'd be hard pressed to listen to him, his knowledge and his passion, and not want to try to make a difference. What an excellent advocate -- and his celebrity makes people stop and listen. We are fortunate to have such a personality fight for such a great cause.

The evening ended with Michelle Branch -- if you haven't heard of her check her out. She's a tremendous performer and I'm a big fan. Her husband backed her up on stage on bass. Basically an acoustical performance with a little lighting thrown in -- she was a trooper though!


So off to rest to get ready for tomorrow. Check in tomorrow for adventures from the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment