Domestic flight issues coming and going - finally left Atlanta about 10:20, home about 12:40 ish. LO was decidedly happy to see me, although my neighbor does a good job spoiling her and the boys (her two cats) came over several times and made themselves at home. Marlis was embarrassed to discover her cat Patterson actually goes up and sleeps on my bed! Haha!
Up 2-3 times, finally got out of bed 6:45 or so and then went for a 2 mile run. I'm thinking food, unpack, laundry and a nap are on the agenda!
Lying in bed waiting to see if I could go back to sleep, enjoyed listening to the birds singing. Was waiting for the 6:30 trash pick up - no wait I'm home! And realized - hey there are no Robins in Paris?! I missed that early morning singing but didn't realize I never saw one until now!
So while I won't miss the crowded sidewalks I already miss the vibe, walking the streets, the architecture. But I'm also glad to be home and I have some sunflowers growing outside my window to remind me of France!
So as this is my last post from this trip it is safe to tell you this story. There are signs at tourist attractions, articles warn you, about pick pockets. I know the street sales are very aggressive at Sacre Couer and have seen them and the ones that want you to sign something all over. Well while walking the left bank, just approaching the book sellers stands, a group of about 6 came up saying hey Julia hey Julia and wanting me to sign. I kept walking but they slowed my progress a bit as they surrounded me. I had seen so many attempts I wasn't worried. Until I heard the Velcro release on my side bag
Now I'm a careful traveler and my phone, wallet, and passport were not only well protected but in 3 different spots. But this made me mad (it's where I carry my passport and spare cash) so I grabbed the closest guy while quickly checking that all was still there. They reacted not in anger but a bit of fear? which confirmed they were trying to pick me. I held on until I was sure they didn't get anything and as he eventually wiggled away I kind of tripped him and he went to a knee. I went the way I was going, they the opposite. It was then I noticed the street vendor shouting at them, he asked if I was OK (well truth be told he could have been calling me. Stupid tourist! Haha!) and made what I'll gather was a disparaging remark about the group of kids (probably 20's?). All was good and shows you always need to keep your guard up in a city or crowded spot! They really made me mad but I got over it quickly!
So glad to be home! I have some photos to sort and edit!
Goodbye for now! Love you all and hope you enjoyed the posts!

Glad you are back safely - your encounter brought to mind our sister trip to NYC and our encounter where Sue nearly got us killed - hahaha - boy was she mad at those guys. I would have loved to see the faces of your "pickers". ��
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see the pictures !
ReplyDeleteAnd you !
ReplyDelete