Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Santa is real you know

I was a bit shocked and dismayed when Debbie hinted in her comment to the Making the Cover entry that Santa may not be real. I beg to differ and I present photographic evidence.

If Santa was not real -- well who is the man in this picture? If Santa was not real -- who planted the seeds of wonderment and curiosity mirrored in the faces of Kathy and Debbie?
If Santa was not real whose lap am I sitting on? If Santa is not real where did I get the notion of excitement and shy expression of my most precious desires? (and why the numbchucks on Santa's hand?)

And lest you think that Santa is best kept for the children, for their enjoyment and magical wimsy, their sense of adventure and lands of make believe, remember it is those childlike qualities that make us more human, more forgiving, more Christ-like.
As adults we forget those precious qualities, sometimes only unveiling them again at Christmas, on Santa's laps. Sharing those secrets, those heart felt desires, as if noone but Santa would understand or could possibly deliver. It is with Santa we feel safe again to be a child.
If Santa is not real is nothing magical and special? Is there nothing to look forward to with bated breath, days moving so slowly you can feel clocks ticking? Is there nothing that reminds us how absolutely special this notion of Santa is -- giving precious gifts. If Santa is not real who will remind us about the children, remind us to love and cherish them? If Santa is not real who will remind us to protect each other, especially those less fortunate than ourselves?


If Santa is not real who put all of these gifts under our tree? Who ate all of the cookies and drank all of the milk (OK the cat got a little of the milk and the dog ate half the cookies before I even went to bed). And a boy tested the Santa theory recently. Being perhaps a tad skeptical he put out a beer instead of the traditional glass of milk. When he awoke the next morning and there was still a half of a beer left he KNEW Santa was real -- he knew his Dad would not have left a drop in that beer bottle!

Santa is real. He lives in each of us and always has. He hides and comes out around holidays and other special occasions. He is Saint Nicholas living in all of us, generous, protective, loving and generally concerned about those who put their lives in danger (in his day sailors and ships). He is that helping hand we don't expect, that gentle nudge when we least expect it. Deeply religions Saint Nicholas was always appealing to God to help those less fortunate, always reminding us how truly lucky we are.

Yes I do believe Santa is real.

And if he's not -- Man -- who the heck's lap was I just sitting on?

2 comments:

  1. I love Santa (witness my great collection of Santa figures). But, those must be elves in the pics (except the 1 w/Kath and me - HE'S the real Santa).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding us its OK to believe :-)Sooo ~ are you getting up early to see what Santa brought us ? ?

    ReplyDelete