Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July

Ahhh. July. My favorite month. The Tour de France starts, there's fireworks, picnics - what's not to like.

Currently an American is leading the first stage -- it's a bit early in the day yet but still. Beautiful fireworks downtown last night, watched the ever exciting Upper Arlington parade this morning -- the start of a perfect 4th! (Now if I can just get organized and packed!).

The UA parade started with a military theme with troops, veterans, some former POW's and etc.

Tell me -- why is it every year when I see that first flag (and stand up in honor), the military groups and the veterans (from WWII, Korea, Vietnam) -- I tear up. First it's just that little lump in your throat, then sure enough, moisture and tears. Why is that?

There were no WWI veterans this year. Have been in the past. Some Pearl Harbor survivors -- ran over to shake their hand and thank them.

These were volunteers in an army knowing that WWII service may be inevitable. The remainining WWII veterans were volunteers knowing they were fighting a world war, knowing full well what their future held.

Perhaps it is that honor, the untold horrors they experienced, the humility in which most of them served, and what they did for their country is what makes me tear up. Perhaps it's being grateful that they served, they fought -- so I could stand free and honor them.

The largest, longest applauds were for that first group. Sure there were cute ball teams, neat neighborhood floats, good bands (but no candy -- what's that about?) -- but I was glad that most everyone remembered to honor, stand at attention for the flag, and applaud those eldery men that served for us -- to let them know we care, we still care, and we are proud of their service.

Happy Birthday America. God Bless the troops.

No comments:

Post a Comment