How easily a mere pet becomes a part of the family. How accustomed to their presence we become. We look for them as soon as we return home. We worry about them when we are gone.

In the past few weeks so many of you have lost your beloved family pets.
Kathy's Tommy succumed to old age, after being rescued and pampered for years by Kathy in two states.
Spunky passed quietly on the kitchen floor, having survived perhaps the worst haircut of Katie's career (and one in which Spunky's hair didn't quite grow in quickly. A nice thought in summer, if only it would grow back by winter!).
And in a house that had already suffered one loss, had to suffer another. Roxy hurt her back at some point, and while it appeared to subside for a bit, it just couldn't heal and she was in too much pain and discomfort to continue on.
And one that really hit home to me was the Rigg's family cat Alex. Alex was the same age as my Alex (I know, weird! One boy, one girl though!) and I have watched Alex, fed him, in the past. And again, he was the same age as Alex.
It scared me. Plain and simple. I've lost pets before, I know what it is like. I don't fancy going through it again.
So every day I try to remember. How precious every day is. With the simple joys a pet can provide.
How precious every day is. Period. Because it can all be over. In the blink of an eye.




AMEN!
ReplyDelete(You're right about the Funniest Home videos also ~ sometimes I think we should video our cats and send them in ~ They certainly bring laughter to the house)