Monday, March 8, 2010

2 wheels, 2 legs, 2 lungs, 1 teeny tiny heart

It's been 5 months. 5 months since I rode a bicycle outside. I've ridden mind you -- inside, on my trainer, with a Tour de France DVD on the computer and my i-pod in my ear. I've sweated, huffed and puffed, and worked hard.

But it's NOTHING like being outside. And in sunny Naples Florida to boot! I realize my Teamroll: friends rode this past weekend in Columbus to probably similar temps -- but I started at 6:45 am, they started probalby 1 pm ish and trust me the temperature here continued to rise quite nicely!

So my first ride of 2010 was Sunday. It would have been Saturday but although my bicycle made it from C-bus my clothes unfortunately did not. I don't mind going commando but trust me, naked cycling would not be pretty. And besides my helmet was in the bag and I need that.

The rust showed, not the least because I forgot my water bottles and had to go back. No amount of trainer time truly prepares you for riding outside again. And my wrist injury prevents me from shifting comfortably into the big chain ring or grabbing a quick handful of brake (that might have to be another story). But I was OUTSIDE! ON MY BIKE!

A studly group of guys blew by me -- I couldn't shift into the big ring to catch them quickly but finally did and suffered at 189 bpm for about 5 miles before I decided I was too fat, too old, and too slow for this nonsense and decided to go a more reasonable pace and take pictures. But the scenery distracted me and I kept forgetting to take pictures.

We were headed to Bonita Springs and Barefoot preserve for a little nature walk and beach time. No Claudia didn't go with -- she complained about all of the sand on the beach so decided it wasn't for her. I think she likes the beach -- well except the sand everywhere, the sun in her eyes, and that pesky water thing. Anyways I digress -- I decided to ride up there and meet the rest there so I could get in a bit more than 40 miles.

I hate to unveil too much in one writing so I'll share our exciting trip later! Until then I'll leave you with one last photo of blue skies and authentic tropical scenery!

No comments:

Post a Comment