Thursday, October 8, 2009

Mom is not ALWAYS right!

One of my favorite stories I've heard about myself when I was little says alot about my temperment and explains alot about my turbulent childhood years!

I was about three years old -- that charming cute age -- with four older sisters. Well supposedly Mom or Dad told me to do something I did not agree with. And in a now kind of typical Vicki response, I promptly planted my legs, hands on hips, and gave a most defiant (I'm assuming anyways!) NO! Well as legend has it you never saw four sisters run so fast -- apparently none of them had ever told Mom or Dad no before -- imagine that. Well I straightened that out quickly! Leave it to me, always pushing boundries, blazing new trails, being just slightly more independent (and obstinate I might add) then the others.

When we're young we tend to think our parents are always right, then we slowly challenge them, then we challenge them for no reason then just to challenge them, to show that we of course must be smarter, and to assert our grown up independence. Then we slowly realize they were right more often than wrong.

But sometimes things come up to challenge that long held notion that they are always right. For instance -- Mom always told us not to play with our food. Besides taking our fun away (not to mention our avoidance of some really gross food -- well it seemed gross then -- I kind of like some of it now -- OK I still think frog legs are gross and NO THEY DON'T TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!) I believe it really has stunted my creative, artistic endeavors. Perhaps if I had not listened (as of course I'm sure I did -- I always did as I was told) I too could have been a creative food artist.

If you blow up each shot you'll see they are made entirely out of food. How creative is that? See what I could have done Mom if you had let me play with my food?

So to all you youngsters out there -- go ahead -- play with your food. You never know what wonderful talents it might lead to!

No comments:

Post a Comment