Cindy was in Pa with her family. Debbie headed to Greenville to spend the weekend with Joe and Jamie et al (bet that was a quiet bunch!). Mom and I were invited to Kathy's, along with Steve. Sue and the Boys joined us. Oh yea -- and Jake was visiting (Kathy was dogsitting for Deb).
As usual Kathy had a beautiful place-setting. Appetizers were out in the grand room, the kitchen was buzzing, great smells simmering throughout the house. The table wasn't big enough for another place-setting, but I saved a spot for you in my head. Steve got the uncomfortable chair, you usually seemed to end up with that one.
I helped cook. Ha Ha yea I know -- now you're glad you weren't there! It was really just stirring and simmering and watching, but it felt like cooking! Kathy made gravy. You would have liked it -- it was old school where you put everything in there for flavor. I think even the neck. Ewww -- how did you like that? There was WAY too much for 7 people but it tasted pretty darn good.
Kathy made her third turkey. According to Casey it was moist and tasty, and I'm sure he's a fine turkey connoisseur. I carved it up, just like you always did. No electric knife (I would have cut myself like Deb did last year!) and no little thingy to sharpen the knife. Kathy kind of needed you there, the knife wasn't the sharpest, could have used a little loving care from you. Or maybe that was just me, wishing you were there to carve instead of me. But I think I did a pretty good job. I guess I've watched enough times. Funny though, the vegetarian carving the turkey! Sue had started, she had trouble with the leg. I just bent it back and forth until it cracked. Guess maybe I shouldn't have told everyone that at the dinner table when they asked.
I'm telling you, right -- that's some good looking food! I know, I know, where's the meat. There really wasn't any room (even if I liked Turkey). Man you would have loved it. Do you like ginger? Because the cranberries were flavored with it -- that was really really good. After the appetizers of shrimp, cheese, and chips with salsa we started with an excellent butternut squash soup with roasted pecans. Sue brought a fully loaded salad bar (I put that aside just in case I didn't have room!). Italian seasoned sauteed asparagus, mashed potatoes, wild rice and bean salad, oven grilled sweet potatoes, a wonderful casserole -- mmmm.
I know you wished you could have been there, you always loved the holidays, everyone getting together. And no I didn't sneak any food to Jake under the table, not that I've been known for doing that or anything! You would have gotten a kick out of us telling the boys stories about stuff Sue did when she was younger, funny how she has such a selective memory on those things! But the boys are old enough to hear it now and laugh (although a few choruses of -- hey you always yelled at us when we did that! -- were heard).

Kathy and Steve are the perfect host and hostesses you know. They even had door prizes!!! Check them out -- these are designs of Steve's -- clever, creative guy that Steve! I think Casey's going to use his in his next math midterm!
And then, in keeping with your traditions, I took a nap. Now I have a built in excuse that I was sick (I know, go figure, me sick on a holiday!) but really I was just doing this in honor of you. I know how much you like that post food coma induced nap so I obliged!
Before I left town I headed over to say goodbye. I bought a wreath to decorate for you. I know how much you loved holiday decorations. And I checked on all of your neighbors. The wind had blown stuff around quite a bit so I cleaned off some of the markers and replaced stuff the best that I could. I checked on Mr Illner's site, and then went over to Mrs. McFarlands. Mac is in the nursing home, he said he'd check on you whenever he went to visit Chris and I promised to do the same. I found a misplaced flower and put it on her marker. I think Mac would like that.I checked out and cleaned up the whole neighborhood while I was there, because I know you always did when you visited Grandpa, Grandma or any of our other relatives. I never understood that before, far too impatient I suppose.
I get it know. I'm glad you showed me. Makes me feel a bit of you is there with me, still trying to push me in the right direction. I guess it's more up to me now. To do the right thing.
Well I hope your Thanksgiving was good. I missed you. Hope to see you at Christmas.

No comments:
Post a Comment